Friday, September 7, 2012

Another Blog on Leadership

It seems like everywhere I look today I find another book, podcast, blog, or tweet about leadership. Especially in the church world. People are writing about everything you can imagine, leading change, growing your church, creative culture, engaging culture, reaching the unchurched, leading a team, and really anything else that falls under the vague and broad spectrum of church leadership. I guess I'm just adding to the noise.

I've been thinking a lot lately about what it takes to be a good leader. I've been working on developing a program to train leaders through my church and this has forced me to step outside of my small perspective and think about what it truly is that enables a person to become a good leader.

The more I think and pray and read about this the more one idea is takes root in my mind: DO NOT lead from what you know. Lead from who you are.


This idea is illustrated poignantly in Acts 19 with the story of the Sons of Sceva. These men had a knowledge of who Jesus was based on the teachings of another man, but when they attempted to put that knowledge into practice it had no power. The demon responded that he knew Jesus and Paul, but did not know them. These men were acting from a knowledge of Jesus, not from an identity in Jesus.

My first priority as a leader is to become what it is I am trying to teach. Personal development is essential to being a good leader. I cannot lead what I do not live. I cannot take you where I have not been. In  the church world this means losing myself in Christ and in His love for me and for His church. Then when I am caught up in that love I can lead, because I am leading from what is natural for me to do, not what someone told me I should do. This principle applies to all areas of leadership, not simply the church. Lead from who you are. If who you are now is not what you want to lead others to then first develop yourself. Then you can be a guide, not a textbook.


No comments:

Post a Comment