Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Millionth blog about the VMA's (why Miley might not be as bad as we thought)

You're probably tired of reading about the VMA's.
I am.
Plus this blog is weeks late, and what I'm about to say isn't new.

There is something disturbingly wrong with the way culture has responded to the Miley Cyrus incident. Miley's performance was pretty gross. No way around that.

But it was also not very different from what millions of other young people her age have done in an attempt to gain attention,  earn respect, and prove independence. The primary difference between her and the rest of college aged America is that there are no video camera's documenting our awful decisions. Even if there were no one knows our name or cares enough to tweet mean things about it. 

Yes what Miley did was wrong and nauseating. Yes, she should be prayed for. Yes, it looks like she's on a pretty dangerous -yet strangely familiar- path. I'm not defending her actions, I'm simply saying that I see myself in her. 

I've done some stuff that I really wish I wouldn't have. I've tried to prove I was grown up in ways that completely proved the opposite. I get it. I'm not saying that all college students go off the deep end freshman year, and I'm DEFINITELY not saying it's okay. I'm just saying what she did really isn't that shocking. 

What is shocking is that Robin Thicke is allowed to be on stage with a young girl, or within a hundred yards of a young girl. His actions were disgusting, demeaning, and unacceptable. As far as I'm concerned he took advantage of a young girl who was trying to find her identity and then used her mistakes for his own pleasure. Sounds a lot like date rape. 

But few people are blogging or tweeting or using sermon illustrations about him. I think it's because then men of my generation are straight up wusses. Calling him out means we have to quit listening to his catchy songs, asking our girlfriends to make exceptions, and talking about girls like we talk about cars and football. It means we've got to man-the-heck-up!

What gives me the right to say this? nothing. 
My past is full of stories where I was no better than Robin Thicke. The only thing that allowed me to marry the most beautiful woman ever and finally live a life dedicated to purity is the grace of Jesus Christ. But that grace is what we must stand in. The grace that takes people like us and turns them into people like Christ. Through that grace we need to set the bar higher for the men of our generation. We need to say that objectifying women simply isn't acceptable. We need to agree that women are made in God's image and should be treated as holy. 

We need to pray for Robin Thicke. We need to seek God that he would realize his need of Christ's love. We need to not allow this egregious example of the state of our culture to be acceptable and unnoticed any longer.

How would you respond to Robin Thicke?
How will you take a stand?


No comments:

Post a Comment